Director of Product Development & Sourcing
Job Title: Director of Product Development & Sourcing
Reports to: President & CEO
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Career Level: Director (navy blue)
Purpose: You will oversee and implement product development policies, objectives, and initiatives. Lead research for new products, product enhancements, and product redesign. Directly manage a small product development team that coordinates with merchandising to identify new opportunities and works directly with external vendors to develop and/or modify products exclusively for Peepers.
This position will require quarterly visits to Peepers HQ in Michigan City, Indiana
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Partner with design to ensure all projects meet original design intent and successfully execute material and construction requirements; problem solve as required.
- Monitor and manage quality, manufacturability, performance, quality, cost, lead-times, and minimums on all projects.
- Accountable for the on-time delivery and quality of prototypes, sales samples, and pre-production samples meeting all calendar deadlines.
- Manage factory allocation.
- Lead cost engineering and final costing negotiations with vendors to meet/exceed margin expectations and maximize profit.
- Build factory relationships to leverage costing, quality, innovation, and sample revisions.
- Manage all aspects of the technical development process; oversee the feasibility, cost, minimums, and execution of new molds/mold drawings.
- Responsible for the on-time submission and communication of all product specs/tech packs for all styles from concept to sales sample stage.
- Lead ongoing research, travel, and competitive analysis to ensure Peepers is an industry leader in world-class materials, technology, fit, and innovation.
- Deliver continuous communication of project status or discrepancies internally to Peepers merch and design team and externally to factories
- Must travel seasonally to international factories to oversee product development and nurture factory relationships
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Communication via telephone, emails, online chat, and co-workers
- Viewing computer terminal, perceiving, and transcribing data with accuracy, and keyboarding fill much of the day in an office environment
- The employee is required to maintain a calm and professional demeanor while handling multiple priorities
- The employee is not exposed to adverse environmental conditions, working primarily in an office environment
- Light work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work can require walking while carrying objects, stooping, kneeling, crouching, as well as grasping objects, and reaching with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- Reliable physical attendance is required.
- The employee is required to stay awake throughout the shift.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years of experience in eyewear product development.
- Has existing factory relationships
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to identify consumer or industry trends and translate into the product(s)
- Experience working with domestic and international suppliers
- Strong ownership and accountability; proactive approach
- Respected cross-functional partner
- Recognized team leader and people developer
- Ability to be strategic as well as to flex into details as needed