Job Description: Sales Manager
Reports to: Director of sales
FLSA Status: Full-time; Exempt
Purpose: The Sales Manager is responsible for contributing to our company’s sales objectives, maintaining & developing existing business while actively acquiring new business within the identified channels including Specialty/Gift, Natural Products, and Apparel through attendance of trade shows, hiring, training and monitoring outside sales organizations, and independent representatives. In addition, the Sales Manager will have a thorough knowledge of the sales process, a strong ability to communicate, and be a creative problem solver. Time management is a vital requirement in maintaining and growing the customer list across multiple channels.
Four Key Accountabilities:
- Channel Penetration
- Proactive Sales Leadership of Wholesale Representatives
- Sales Plan Execution ($ + margin)
- Internal and External Communication
- Understand current channels and opportunities for growth
- Build out/hire well qualified independent sales representatives or outside sales organizations that will assist Peepers in growing our Gourmet Grocery/Natural Products businesses.
- Develop and implement effective sales strategies for channel penetration, establish sales objectives by forecasting and developing annual sale goals for key accounts and regional territories.
- Evaluate current competition and identify potential opportunities for new business and growth.
- Partner with current Sales Manager to develop processes to manage and grow multiple channels without cannibalizing current business ensuring both Sales Managers are in constant communication working together as one team managing multiple channels.
Proactive Sales Leadership of Wholesale Representatives
- Communicate and train all outside sales organizations with Peepers sales objectives and strategies. Ensure they have a comprehensive understanding of the Peepers program and are armed with the tools they need to maintain current business and capture new opportunities.
- Work with the sales representatives to approach potential new customers with a comprehensive business plan and presentation to win the business.
- Maintain and develop a prospect database for in-house sales and outside sales organizations.
- Participate in ride-alongs with sales representatives in order to train and assist with driving sales in new and/or challenged markets.
- Establish productive and professional relationships with head buyers/decision makers at assigned key accounts, including accounts owned by outside sales representatives to ensure Peepers has a strong internal and external relationship with account
- Provide weekly/ monthly reporting on all key accounts and regional territories and formulate a plan of action for any shortfalls and budget deficiencies.
Sales Plan Execution ($ + margin)
- Achieve sales objectives in coordination with the company's overall business plan by holding reps and rep principals accountable to goals
- Develop and analyze monthly and yearly sales forecast and budgets. Monitor sales and business throughout the year.
- Review, analyze and negotiate all costs with appropriate margins; use effective negotiation skills to create a win-win for both parties
- Monitor and analyze performance metrics and suggest improvements in order to drive sales.
Internal and External Communication
- Ensure leadership has clear understanding of current and future business through monthly and quarterly presentations; communicate with Sales Director on state of business weekly
- Work well inter-departmentally and cross-functionally to drive customer satisfaction and bottom-line profitability
- Establish and maintain cooperative, constructive interpersonal relationships with the Company staff at all levels
- Work with the Director of Sales and Marketing to coordinate and execute all details related to trade shows.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience as Sales Manager, Director of Sales, or similar industry management experience
- Experience with Specialty Gift Market, Grocery Channel, and/or Apparel Industry
- Must be able to sell design and be trend savvy
- Must be dynamic, performance driven sales professional with a proven track record of building business
- Must have outstanding leadership, presentation and communication skills
- Must be an energetic, results-oriented, self-starter and team player
- Able to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Competent with computer software such as Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong critical thinking and logical reasoning skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and project management skills
- Strong skills in problem identification and solutions-based problem-solving
- Solid customer service attitude with excellent negotiation skills.
- Excellent skills managing multiple competing priorities on a daily basis
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to lead and a strong team player
- Up to 50% Travel (depending on the season and/or sales cycle)
- Attend Trade Shows